Dakota State University
a time period or scroll down to follow timeline.
1881 On March 5, the Territorial Legislative assembly passed the Normal Bill, establishing a school at Madison, in Dakota Territory. It was referred to as Dakota Normal School, Madison State Normal or State Normal but most commonly known as Madison State Normal School.
One hundred sixty acres, one mile east of Madison, were turned over to the Territory for the Normal School, but the site was considered too far away.
Mr. Charles B. Kennedy offered 20 acres of land on the north edge of Madison, at the end of Egan Avenue. This site was selected for the school. The deed stipulated that if the land were ever used for anything but for the original intent (a teachers preparation institution) or discontinued, the site would be returned to the Kennedy estate.
1882 The Legislature sold the original 160 acres of land as it was considered to be too far from the village of Madison. The proceeds were to be used for construction of first college buildings within the confines of Madison.
1883 On December 5, eleven students enrolled with Professor Charles S. Richardson as the first President (1883-1887). He came from Waterville, Maine. Tuition was free for students agreeing to teach in Dakota Territory for at least two years after graduation. Book rental was $0.25 per book for the year. Room and board in private homes was approximately $3.00 per week. Classes were held in the public buildings. Plans were drawn by architect Edward S. Steffens, of Minneapolis, for a wooden frame structure 50 x 70 feet.
1884 Appropriations secured and construction began on the first college building, a 50' x 70', three story, wood-frame structure included a half-basement. Enrollment was up to 70. Professor E.H. Evenson, graduate of University of Wisconsin, was the second teacher hired. $13,600 was spent for final stages of construction on the original building. Few people were living in the state, few roads, no telephone, electricity, radios or automobiles. Travel at that time was train or horse and buggy.
1885 November 2, the school moved into new wooden building with 107 students. The Normal School's first graduating class had 2 students. Model School was established for practice teaching; one of the first laboratory schools in the nation. The Normal was the first state college for preparation of teachers in the Dakota Territory.
1886 Winter term began with 107 students. Normal School building burned to the ground on February 4th with complete destruction, only three months after completion, with the exception of a few books belonging to President Richardson.
The City of Madison issued bonds for $25,000 to build a dormitory and rebuild classroom buildings. The Legislature appropriated $35,000 to repay $25,000 in bonds bought by Madison citizens and the balance to finish the building. Classes were held in various rooms downtown including the Court House during the building process.
The classroom building was rebuilt of granite during following months and opened in September of 1886. W.L. Dow of Sioux Falls was the architect. Edwin G. Carter of Sioux Falls was awarded the construction contract. Normal building was named West Wing (later called the Model School and yet later called Beadle Hall). This building was placed on the same exact site of the building that burned. Construction of Dell Rapids Granite, Milwaukee pressed brick & LaCrosse white-cut stone, 76' x 84' housed four levels including the basement. It was finished in oak and Georgia pine. The carved staircase in the center of the building led from the first floor to the third. Used the Haxtan Heating System. The Library & Presidents Office were housed here.
The Model School was set-up in the basement. There were three grades in the Model School: Primary, Intermediate and Grammar.
The Normal Department had 124 students and 8 faculty. Every student entering Normal Department had to do a definite amount of teaching in the Model School.
The Normal Department consisted of the Elementary Course which required three years of work above the 8th grade. Advanced courses included four years of study.
The citizens of Madison finished building the West Hall (Old Dormitory) . John Buckley was the contractor. It was built on the southwest part of campus at a cost of $8000. It was a 36'x86' brick building, 4 stories high and accommodated 70 students. The rate for room & board was $2.75 per week. It had a kitchen and dining hall in the basement. Visiting in the halls was prohibited as it was one of the dormitory rules. It housed women students in the early years.
In April, 400 trees were planted on campus celebrating Arbor Day. A windmill & tank were added to the campus grounds. No provision for care of the trees was made.
The Agassiz Association (Science Club) was organized. This was a study & observation of natural objects.
1888 Enrollment of 238 students, it was very crowded in West Wing (later called Beadle Hall). Two desks were put together to accommodate three students. The Commercial Department (business training) was introduced. It was housed on the third floor with large rooms and well lighted with a skylight.
1889 William F. Gorrie resigned and submitted his resignation. South Dakota gained statehood in February. All state institutions are placed under Board of Regents. General William Henry Harrison Beadle became Third President (1889-1905).
The library housed 1000 volumes. There were 191 students in the Normal Department. And 80 students were in the Model School Department.
1890 Tuition was $2.25 per semester (19 weeks). Room & Board was $5.00. Entering students were supposed to be 16 yrs. old – although some entered at 14. They were required to pass a rigid entrance exam. Students entered directly from the grammer school and took a 3-yr. course leading to a teaching certificate & a diploma – this was called the "Elementary Course". At this time, only ladies would be allowed to live in West Hall.
1892 In November, The Oyaka , a monthly paper published by the college students was first published. The name was derived from the Lakota meaning 'messenger or herald'.
The Students' Christian Association was organized. Meetings were held weekly on Wednesday evenings.
1893 Commencement Class of 1893 gave up commencement plans for a memorial service for William E. Hammer & Gay Pye, deceased members of their class. On the eve of commencement week they both drowned. Mr. Hammer was editor-in-chief & founder of the The Oyaka.
1895 The 1893-94 catalog stated that the three-year Elementary Course was extended to four years and the first year Elementary courses will be extended to one and half yrs. of attendance.
1897-1898 2,000 trees were planted on campus by townspeople - mostly ash & elm. Provisions were made for the care and watering of the trees. The first summer school session consisting of eight weeks was introduced.
1898 Drawing Class in front of Beadle Hall
Art Marsland was the mail carrier and custodian
1898-99 Original heating plant erected at a cost of $4,000.
The building of a new dormitory building had commenced at an expense of about $30,000.
Class of 1899
1900 State Normal was continuing to grow. Tuition was raised to $6.00 per semester, total cost of tuition, room & board & book fees was now $116.90 for a 9-month period.
1901 Ladies Hall (East Hall) was built and was ready for use in the fall. It served as a dormitory for women including kitchen and laundry. This building was made out of Sioux Falls Granite. It consisted of 43 rooms for students, and a bathroom on each floor besides two parlors, a reception room and a reading room. In the basement was the student's dining room with seating capacity of over 100. It also housed a laboratory for the Science Department. East Hall was heated by steam & lighted with incandescent electric lamps.
The East Hall Boarding Club was started. This was a self-governing club, largely making and executing their own laws for the dormitory.
West Hall Dormitory was now used exclusively for male students. President Beadle on year's sick leave to regain his health. Professor William W. Girton selected as Acting President (1901-1902). Legislature appropriates money for construction of East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall).
1902 President Beadle returns as President. This was the first graduating class to wear cap and gowns. The school Name changes to Madison State Normal School. This was the first mid-winter (January) Commencement, having 17 graduates.
The Science Club was started, they met every two weeks.
1902-03 The first Girls Basketball game, it was with Brookings College with a win. They had two teams - the Reds and the Orangites.
1903 Madison State Normal School Band is organized. Electric light plant is installed north of West Wing (later Beadle Hall) . A Tennis Association was organized in the fall semester, although this was not the first time tennis was played on campus. The 40 members were furnished with tennis outfits and had three well-equipped courts.
1904 East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall) was constructed. Mr. Dow of Sioux Falls was the architect and the contractor was Mr. Hafsos, from Cantan. It was made of Dell Rapids Granite. The 72x78 ft. building had 14,284 usable sq. ft. space and housed administrative offices, the library, an auditorium/elegant chapel of which seated 600 and classrooms. Now, West Wing (later called Beadle Hall) used primarily for Model School (training department). The Library holdings consisted of 3000 books which were cataloged according to the Dewey Decimal System.
Cross Country Club was organized in September, by the East Hall Club, there were 2 teams - the Reds and Yellows.
1905 President Beadle retires as president but stays on as professor of history until 1912 when he retired.
John W. Heston, President (1905-1920).
First cup trophy won on May 25-26 at Inter-Normal Meet which was an athletic and literary contest. First year the Anemone (college yearbook) was published.
At this time property, buildings & equipment valued at $140,000. There were four campus buildings on campus.
1906 The Webster Society was organized - to aide in developing the ability of it's members in debate, oratory, music and other literary exercises as well as sociability.
1907 Smoke-Stack (a large brick chimney) erected at $2,500. Contract went to Wold & Johnson of Brookings.
1907 Commencement Invitation
1908 A 40 ft. addition was built onto the north of the Ladies Hall Dormitory (now called East Hall). It housed an enlarged kitchen, laundry & storage rooms. East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall) housed the Executive Office and the elegant Chapel, not surpassed by any in the State.
Football Team Baseball Team
1909 The abandoned West Hall (Men's Dormitory) (36' X 86') located on the southwest end of campus was torn down to build Science Hall & Gymnasium( later called the Women's Gym, then called the Performing Arts Center and now called the TCB - Technology Classroom Building). Some of the West Hall building materials were salvaged for construction of the new building.
In the fall, Madison State Normal Orchestra was organized.
1910 Dr. Heston's interest in Industrial education in relation to teacher education is what moved him to build the Science Hall. Sioux Falls Granite was used in the erection of the 60x100 Science Hall & Gymnasium.(Later called Women's Gym and then Performing Art Center and presently named TCB-Technology Classroom Building). This building was located on the southwest end of campus. The first floor housed the laboratory, classroom facilities for chemistry, physics and agriculture, and a large lecture room & 2nd floor was the gymnasium. Science had been introduced in the establishment of courses in chemistry and domestic science. Many social events took place in this building.
Tuition was at $2.00 per quarter consisting of 12 weeks. Tuition, room and board, books and fees $135.65 for nine month period (3 quarters).
East Hall Girls Dorm Room
New cement walks were laid on campus.
Library in East Wing (later called Kennedy Hall)
1911 The Debating Club drew up a constitution and the by- laws for the club.
Football Team Webster Society Women's Basketball
Manual Training Word Drill
Normal Physical Culture Classes in the new Gymnasium
Some of the songs and yells that were used at this time.
1912 First year of inter-collegiate athletic competition, men on teams averaged 140 pounds.
Instructors and students from the 1912 Summer School Session, The Lake Madison Chautauqua was in session at that time. This gave the students the advantage of its instruction and entertainment as well.
"Sylvia" was an operetta that was presented by the Music Department.
Webster Society Biology Lab
State Normal Basketball Teams
Poem about 'Dear Old Normal'
1914 Chapel Exercises were held at 10:30 every school day, the students were expected to attend. Mondays chapel exercises were set aside for the Webster and the Century "A" & "B" literary societies presentations. This proved to be very good valuable experience for the students.
Strivers Debating Club Girls Glee Club
First, Second & Third Year Elementary Students
Girton Hall ad taken from 1916 Yearbook
1916-1917 A 120x142 Campus Laboratory School (Model School) (later named Eastern Campus School and later yet named Beadle Campus School) was built of dark compressed brick and trimmed with light sandstone. It was a one-story building with a basement. The basement was occupied by the Domestic Science and Art Departments along with the lunchroom. It was an excellent teacher-in-training laboratory facility.
Campus School Assembly
1917 First, Second & Third Year Intermediate Students
First, Second and Third Year Intermediate Classes
'Our School' taken from the 1918 yearbook
At the end of this year, the Y.W.C.A. was organized. This Young Women's Christian Association met weekly.
Campus School classroom
In this year, The Teachers' Club was organized. This club was organized by the student teachers of the Normal Training School. The aim of this club was to encourage scholarship and professional spirit among the teachers in training.
Anemone Staff Athenian Society
First & Second Year Elementary Students
First, Second & Third Year Intermediate
Dr. Heston died in Feb. 1920.
B. M. Lawrence & Coach Wagner
Tuition was $4.00 per quarter. Total cost of nine months school approximately $215.00.
First, Second and Third Year Intermediate
1921-1922 Edgar C. Higbie, (1920-1931), took office in fall of 1921.
Enrollment was 76 students. Tuition was $12.00.
The college officially adopted the name change to Eastern State Normal School.
State of South Dakota acquires house and lot to be used for dormitory purposes (overflow from East Hall). Paid for itself by self-liquidation. It was named Girton House after W.W. Girton, who build the house and whom began his work on campus in 1896 as secretary/treasurer and instructor and later Professor William W. Girton was selected as Acting President. (1901-1902).
First, Second & Third Year Intermediate
First & Second Year Elementary
A World War I Memorial was dedicated on campus on November 11, 1921. This boulder with the bronze plaque was set near the southwest entrance of Campus. The names on the plaque are those of the men students from the Normal who served in WW I. B. M. Lawrence and C. C. Wagner were instrumental in raising the funds for this memorial among faculty, students, and friends of the Normal.
The aim of the Commercial Department was to train students to become first class office assistants.
The Model School took on the name Eastern Campus School. The Model School consists of three departments: The Kindergarten-Primary Department includes the Kindergarten and the First and Second Grades; the Intermediate, the Third, Fourth, Fifth and Sixth grades; and the Junior High consists of the Seventh, Eighth and Ninth grade.
Pioneer Day (Homecoming Day) inaugurated with a parade in October, 1922. This was the first homecoming.
Kappa Sigma Iota was organized in June. This was to promote and recognize scholastic achievement. It became one of the most active and leading campus organizations.
A student health service was organized with R.S. Westaby as first school doctor and also one of the hospital administrators.
Nursing Class Elementary Classes Intermediate Classes
The athletic team was called the Warriors this year.
Eastern Frontier Parade
Garden Theater built (stood where Lowry Hall is currently). The cost was $5000.00. It was surrounded by a high trimmed buckthorn hedge wall, Shade trees were moved from campus to the area. The Theater has capacity for 2,000 people.
Academy Department of the College eliminated; only high school graduates admitted. College placed on four-year teacher basis - granting degrees of Bachelor of Science in Education.
A men's athletic organization called the "E" Club was organized. To become a member one must win a letter in football, basketball or track.
Eastern Normal Chorus Men's Basketball
Football Squad Kappa Sigma Iota Lincoln Debate Team
College was called Eastern State Teachers College but not the official title.
Problems in organizing the four year curriculum were finally met & the first Degree class was graduated with five students at Eastern State Teachers College.
The Student Council of Eastern was organized.
The first Music Contest in the state was held May 1 & 2nd, 1924 at Eastern State Teacher College.
WAA (Women’s Athletic Association) organization officially started. Some of the sports included were hockey, hiking, tumbling, dancing, volleyball, baseball, basketball, tennis and track.
The Rural Club was started this year. The campus training school was reorganized into a Rural Department to train teachers for work in rural communities.
Dramatics Class "Elijah" Men's Basketball
Anemone Staff Kappa Phi Sigma Monogram Club
Y.M.C.A started in this year on campus. YMCA stood for Young Men's Christian Association. While the Y.W.C.A. has been active for many years, this year two spacious rooms on second floor of East Hall were set aside for this organization.
1926-1927 Besides the Campus School and Washington Grade School (K-6th Grade City Public School) being used for practice teaching or demonstration purposes, a rural school six miles southeast of Madison was used for training of rural school teachers. This was the Mabel Carney School - District School #11.
Eastern Alumni Organization started. Enrollment was 380 and Tuition was $50.00.
The Madison Chapter of the A.A.U.W. started in May .
Kappa Sigma Iota Student Council Forensics
The School was the first in the State to have a definite Intra-Mural Athletic program for men - it was organized in this year.
Chorus Pep Band "E" Club
The Football Field was developed on campus rather than using the cities athletic field.
1927 The colleges Name officially changed to Eastern State Teachers College.
The first football game was played on the campus athletic field. First Awards Day was started - this was formerly called Field Day.
W.A.A. Men's Basketball Team Rural Club
The Dauber's Club started. This was a club for those interested in art.
The "E" Club, men's athletic association, revised their Constitution and it was permanently established.
Women's Glee Club Kappa Sigma Iota
Official name for college teams was Trojans.
A Pageant in the Garden Theater
A chapter of the Phi Sigma Pi was established at Eastern. This was an honorary undergraduate educational fraternity.
Band Kappa Sigma Iota Debate Club
Some Faculty The Eastern Staff
Student Council "E" Club Football Squad
In this year, the College yearbook was named the Trojans.
The Henkin residence at 304 NE 4th St. was rented to house the male students & became known as "Trojan Hermitage". A new all-electric radio was installed in the house. This was a product of Professor Pease's radio class.
A new Science Club was organized. The purpose of this club was the furtherance of science and mathematics at Eastern.
'Skip 'Day' was started this year. All students had a day of vacation.
1929-1930 Homecoming Contest
Production started on a documentary film (movie) of early history of South Dakota and personal life of General Beadle in South Dakota, titled "Dacotah". It was the first all college picture of its kind ever filmed in the United States at that time. Mr. L. N. Pease chosen to portray General Beadle. (Scenario written by Barrett Lowe who was originator of idea of making picture as well as script-writer and general supervisor). The film was ready for the first showing on Eastern Day, October 19, 1929. It had been shown in colleges all over the country.
The annual Prom was hosted by W.A.A. & "E" Club.
The "Trojan Hermitage" moved to the Stockberger residence at 705 N. Egan.
In February, Theta Chapter of Pi Kappa Delta, National Honorary Speech Fraternity was installed on the Eastern campus.
The Newman Club, a catholic organization, was organized on the campus in December 11, 1929. The Wesley Club, a Methodist organization, was formed some years before but has been reorganized and became active. The Lutheran Students' Association was organized in February of 1930. The College Club was students who were members of the Grace Episcopal Church. The Presbyterian Group consisted of Dr. Higbie's Sunday School class and the Young People's Society. The Baptist Church organization members were of the English and German Baptist Churches.
1930-1931 Fall Enrollment - 250.
Arts Club Dramatics Club
Eastern State Normal School dropped back to two-year college.
Sigma Tau Delta
Sigma Tau Delta was an honorary English Fraternity whereas Delta Psi Omega was an honorary dramatics fraternity.
Coach Curtis's third year here was most successful at Eastern. He took a leave for study and John Burns managed the team in his absence.
Industrial Education Association was recently formed on campus. It's members promoted industrial education and met in the Mechanical Drawing Room.
1932 Lost 4-year status in state referendum
The Beadle Club was founded.
1934 Trojan Field was leveled, planted to grass in spring of 1934. It was north of East Hall & East Wing (Kennedy Hall).
1935 Roadway from southwest corner of campus eliminated, spaded and seeded to lawn, sidewalk added.
The Library had grown to 15,000 volumes and occupied half of the basement and half of the first floor of East Wing (Kennedy Hall).
A health service office was setup in a room located on second floor of East Wing (Kennedy Hall). A student lounge was in the adjoining room.
Eastern High School Football & Basketball Teams
1936 Girton House was made into a home for the President of the College. Plumbing & Heating system overhauled, roof re-shingled and new floors were laid, the Lowry's moved in and were the houses longest tenants.
Gertrude Gill wrote a book used in the classroom How to Teach Poetry.
Campus School Faculty Campus School Seniors
Campus School first track team Eastern Campus School Pep Club
1937-1938 Beadle Centennial Celebration sponsored by the S.D. Education Association in honor of the 100th anniversary of the General’s birth.
The Eastern Press Club was officially selected as the name of the new society recently formed. This was formed from interested students in Journalism and creative writing. They met twice a month.
132 Students Graduated from Eastern.
1938-1939 Eastern State Normal School 4-year program approved but not funded.
Room & Board at East Hall ranged in cost from $57.00-$60.00 per quarter.
The Library had grown to 20,000 volumes.
1939 153 Students graduated.
1940 Tuition $33.00 per quarter. The total cost for nine-months school term was still about $280.00.
The first Parents Day’s was held at Eastern.
206 Students Graduated.
1941 A memorial (Sun Dial) for Claude E. Tyrrell (Eastern Superintendent of Buildings from 1905-1940) from alumni, students, faculty. Mr. Tyrrell suffered a fatal accident while on duty in November. The Sun Dial is located on the south side entrance to Beadle Hall.
A new service was offered to the community by the speech department at Eastern. It was a Speakers Bureau. It was designed to give students practical experience in appearing before audiences.
Some requirements for the W.A.A. (Women’s Athletic Association) to earn a jacket were as follows: to have 15 hours of practice in softball, volleyball, and soccer with a test to follow. They also must participate on 4 teams and play 4 games. They had to have at least a C average and must hold on office in a campus organization.
1942 Changed steam system from high pressure to low pressure.
Bought electricity from City of Madison from then on, eliminated the D.C. generator, added a stoker on one boiler and added a new boiler.
There were no Homecoming festivities this year due to the war.
Athletics from 1942-45 were solely females as the males were off to war.
Spring Formal - Ladies in front of East Hall
1944 In September, a third year was added to the curriculum and there were hopes of reinstating the four-year program for the returning G.I.’s.
1946 Eastern State Normal School returned to four-year degree program. Homecoming was re-instated.
Men's basketball was re-instated and a new coach was hired.
Kappa Sigma Iota Play "Night in January" Eastern Staff
Eastern Day changed name to Homecoming.
A.C.E. Alpha Phi Sigma Choir
Veterans Club was reorganized, they met once a month.
Basketball Track Women's Athletic Association
Band Student Senate Shutter Bugs
Aerial View of Campus in 1948 Homecoming
The Bookstore was located in the basement of East Wing (Kennedy Hall).
The play "Claudia" Men's Varsity Club
1949-50 Football Team
Homecoming Activities Beadle Hall
Trojan Staff Eastern Staff Classes
Association for Childhood Education Dramatics
Kappa Sigma Iota Student Senate
Tuition $28.00 per quarter with a total for the year at about $535.00. Model School changed name to Beadle Campus School.
Campus School (Beadle High School).
Beadle High School Homecoming Royalty.
The Beadle Campus School newspaper was called Eastern Breezes.
U.S. Senator Karl Mundt delivers address at Homecoming Buffet Dinner
1953-1954 Association for Childhood Education
Sweetheart Ball Cheerleading
Football Team W.A.A. Men's Basketball Team
Snack Bar added in basement of East Hall in Tower Room-accommodated 40 people.
1954-55 Deagan Celesta Chimes donated by George G. Smith in memory of his South Dakota pioneer parents (cost $7,600.).
Homecoming Football Team
Since the original plan of connecting East and West Wings with a large administration building had never been carried out, the buildings would never serve as Wings; so it was decided to rename Kennedy Hall. In March of 1955, East Wing was renamed Kennedy Hall in honor C. B. Kennedy, the donor of the original twenty-20 acre college site. It housed administrative offices, library, auditorium, bookstore, student lounge, music and speech classrooms. "Kennedy Hall" sign was donated as a memorial to Mr. Ernie MacDonald who served as East Hall steward for many years.
Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities
W.A.A. Kappa Sigma Iota
Men's Basketball Beta Phi Chi
The 1955 graduating class was the 70th class to have graduated from the college, as the first class was that of 1885.
Homecoming renamed "Tutor Day".
A group of college students from GBSTC participated this year in the TV Degree College Quiz Program.
Sock Dance after registration
Snack Bar located in the basement of East Hall
Aerial View of campus Men's Basketball
In 1957, 24.81 acres of additional land purchased for expansion of college, three blocks north of present campus.
The 1957 Trojan yearbook was dedicated to Miss Lois M. Drake in appreciation of such dedicated service the last 33 years. She taught English and journalism. This year she was advisor to the Trojan Staff.
1957-1958 Tutor Day
Sock Hop in Lounge of Kennedy Hall
Women's Recreation Association
1958 Men's Basketball Team
Property, buildings, and equipment was valued by the State of SD to be $2,781,800. (Land - $110,800, Buildings - $2,405,000, Equipment - $266,000. Based on ENR building construction index 1958. 1958 replacement value).
Fine Arts Students in West Wing Football
"The Pirates" Anyone for Checkers? Christian Union
College drive widened and paved.
Work was started on the Memorial Gym.
TUTOR DAY 1959
Beadle High School Royalty
Who's Who in American Colleges and Universities
Christmas Dinner in East Hall Musical Comedy
Women's Recreation Association
1960-61 Memorial Gymnasium (Fieldhouse) (National Guard Armory) construction completed and was built in conjunction with National Guard. It was named in honor of those who lost their lives in WW II. The dedication for this building was September 9, 1960.
Inside the gymnasium Cheerleaders
Academic ranking for faculty was introduced.
Third floor addition added to Kennedy Hall completed - $50,000. This provided for an enlargement of the auditorium stage, a music room and additional classroom and office space. The Library addition that was added four years prior was very useful to the students. It held over 22,000 volumes.
Tuition now $66.00 per quarter. Total cost of nine-month school term is about $750.00.
This is the first season that Baseball was an organized sport on the General Beadle State Teachers College campus.
The Lake County Historical Museum (later called Smith-Zimmermann Heritage Museum) was built on the College Campus and donated to the State of SD by George G. Smith and Miss Lillian Zimmerman - $75,000, initial donation; $16,000 additional. This gift was in memory of their parents.
A new organization started on campus this year. The Music Educator's National Conference Student Chapter. This was composed of students who have a major or minor in the field of music.
The intramural basketball teams were an important part of college activities also. Twelve teams were comprised in the program.
One of the newest sports on campus was wrestling. This year was the first time wrestling was offered.
The Dames Club was an organization comprised of wives of students attending the college.
The Old Snack Bar was renovated for a Faculty Lounge in East Hall.
Dr. Laurence Samuel Flaum, President (1962-1967)
The tuition for resident students was $198.00 with a non-resident tuition of $366.00 per nine-month school term.
137 graduates began the 77th annual commencement exercises.
Registration Student Senate
Tutor Day festivities
After 46 years of service, the Campus School (Beadle High School) was destroyed by fire on January 19, 1963, leaving 350 students without a school. The school had been used to prepare students with training to teach in elementary and secondary school systems.
W.R.A. Men's Basketball Team
1963-64 The colleges name changed to General Beadle State College.
A three story, brick structure was built. It was named Zimmermann Hall. It's dimensions were 32x263 ft. and it housed 128 women students with 2 students to a room that was 6 x 14 ft. It had the campus cafeteria in the south corner of first floor. The Zimmermann name was in recognition of the many contributions that the Zimmermann family made to Lake County, rural education and GBSC and the community.
The first Snow Week was held on campus this year. Many snow sculptures were made.
Aerial View of Campus in 1965 Speaker at Graduation
1965-1966 Enrollment - 992 students.
Trojan Center built. This was a student center, housing conference rooms, bookstore, office space, lounge and a Meditation Center with a peaceful atmosphere. Dedication of Higbie Hall and the Trojan Center was held September 23, 1965.
Lowry Hall now became a women's dormitory.
Football Players and the Band
Madison Community Hospital, that was built in 1920, was purchased for $85,000.00 by the State of SD. This was a three-story reinforced concrete building with brick veneer. It was later to be named Heston Hall after John W. Heston, the President of the college from 1905-1920.
Lutheran Student Association
The Sounding Board was formed for the purpose of letting organizational representatives voice their opinions on variety of topics involving the college and campus life.
Miss Genevieve Dorney passed away in November. Miss Dorney had been the art teacher & Teachers of Fine Arts on the campus for 43 years.
In February, the Union Board was established. They planned the activities and the social functions of the Trojan Center. They sponsored many socials and games, provided the students with free movies on weekends, and also art exhibits and lectures.
The development of fine, dramatic arts program was becoming popular on campus. The traditional arts & science programs were increasing at this time.
MENC Beadle Dames Club
1966-1967 Registration was held for the last time in the Women’s Gym this fall.
Tutor Day Festivities
Student Senate Delta Psi Omega
Kappa Sigma Iota Science Club
Cheerleader with Basketball Players
Miss G.B.S.C. 1967 contestants
Zimmermann Hall Officers
213 students received diplomas at the May Commencement.
Fall enrollment - 1220 students
Tutor Day Festivities
The search for the 1968 Helen of Troy began in 1967 when organizations selected representative coeds.
Sixty trees were donated and planted on campus.
Karl E. Mundt Library was built. At this time, the Library had 120,000 volumes. The libraries lower level houses the Karl E. Mundt Historical & Educational Foundation & Archives. The manuscript collection & artifacts of Karl E. Mundt are housed here. The mural that is located over the entrance of the Mundt Library features early Egyptian hieroglyphics that depict the history of the written word.
A new ‘Trojan Field’ was constructed.
This was the best season that the Baseball Team for GBSC had ever had.
Sweethearts of the Snow Royalty
Beadle had graduated the largest class ever on May 29th. This was the eighty-third annual commencement with 246 graduating.
Although, Miss C. Ruth Habeger and Miss Leota Van Ornum have recently retired as instructors at General Beadle, the 1968 Trojan yearbook dedicated its yearbook to them for their combined total of 72 years of dedicated service in the fields of science and physical education.
June Emry Hall was built and was to house 156 students. It was named in recognition of the outstanding contribution to education that Dr. Emry gave at DSC & to Madison community. Emry Hall is a 4-story, brick residence hall built for women students. It is a 56 ft. x 131 ft. building with rooms 11 x 15ft.
Tutor Day Festivities
Dakota History Conference started in this year.
Veterans Club Wrestling
Karl E. Mundt Library dedication was in June, with United States President Richard Nixon and his family here for dedication. The Library was constructed on the same location as where the Campus School had been.
The colleges name changed to Dakota State College.
1969-1970 Enrollment 1326.
In the summer, Richardson Hall was completed and ready to house 202 students. It was 35,000 square ft. and four stories high. The building was named after Professor Charles S. Richardson as he was the first President (1883-1887) of this campus.
New to the DSC campus during the year was the initiation of a class in the art of judo.
Wrestling Cheerleaders Wrestlers
Track Cross Country Baseball
May 17, 1970 was the starting date for renovation of Heston Hall.
Graduation with 298 graduates
1970-1971 In August, Heston Hall was ready for use. The cost was $436,000. It was modernized for approximately 2/3 the cost of a new construction. The Sioux Falls architect Fritzel, Kroeger, Griffin & Berg designed the building. The building was to be used for administration offices and computer data center.
Homecoming Fun Madrigal Singers
Tyrrell Physical Plant was built in tribute to Claude Tyrrell (longtime Physical Plant Director) and Preston Tyrrell (longtime faculty administrator). This was a 12,270 sq. ft. building that housed the campus heating plant, motor pool, storage, warehouse, the Physical Plant offices, along with carpenters, plumbing and electrical shops.
Student Senate Miss DSC
School Spirit Wrestling Volleyball
A new brick ceramic kiln was built by the students.
Commencement of 294 graduates.
Homecoming Queen Trojan Knight Cheerleaders
The DSU Football Team won the 1971 Boot Hill Bowl.
Sweethearts of the Snow royalty
A new Science Center was built. It was later named the C. Ruth Habeger Science Center after C. Ruth Habeger. The building was completed in August. It houses the department of biological science, mathematics, medical records, physical science and part of the behavioral sciences. It consists of 35,000 sq. ft. containing 2 large lecture rooms, a 200 seat auditorium, 10 laboratories which can be used as classrooms, 9 services areas, greenhouse, a herbarium and offices.
A new DSC honorary social science and business fraternity was organized. It was called Sigma Tau Sigma.
A course in the Art of Karate was offered by the Physical Education Department.
Commencement Exercises honored 298 Graduates.
Homecoming Royalty Cheerleaders
Dr. Gordon Foster was inaugurated in December.
258 people received degrees at commencement.
1973-1974 DSC Trojans won their first SDIC football title in the history of the college
Student Senate Band Chorus
Tennis Golf Baseball
Track Wrestlers Cross Country
May 11, marked the 90th Annual Commencement.
1974-1975 Enrollment was 710 students. DSC was under the administrative control of USD at Vermillion. Dr. Richard Bowen, President (1974-1976) was president over Vermillion and Springfield campuses as well.
Dr. Carrol Krause was named Provost of both DSC and USD/Springfield while Dr. Clyde Brashier was named DSC Dean of Instruction.
Kappa Sigma Iota
The Trojan yearbook was dedicated to the memory of Karl Mundt. Karl & Mary both taught on this campus. Karl Mundt died on August 16, 1974.
1975-1976 Enrollment 870.
HIM (Health Information Management) program started in the fall as part of the Division of Science & Mathematics and was held in the Science Center.
1976-1977 Fall Enrollment was 922.
1977-1978 Fall Enrollment was 902.
Homecoming Committee Homecoming Royalty
'Many Moons' Snow Week Royalty
212 students received their degrees at commencement
1978-1979 Fall Enrollment was 841.
In August, Dr. Carlton M. Opgaard, (1978-1983) became President .
In September, Lowry Hall was rented to Interlakes Community Action for office space.
Football Cheerleaders Football Team Volleyball
'A Touch of Marble' The O'Brien Speaking Contest Winners
1979-1980 Fall Enrollment was 895.
Football Cheerleaders Homecoming Royalty
The Host Corps was started in this year as a special public relations group made up of DSC students. They act as student hosts, give tours of the campus at college functions, and assist the admissions office during campus visitations of prospective students and their parents.
Student Senate Host Corp Medical Records Club
The Union Board became Students Activities Board. This organization sponsors and promotes activities for the students and community.
Dr. V. A. Lowry died on January 8, 1980.
The second annual DSC English Study/Tour left May 30, 1980 for London, England. Dr. Zeno Van Erdewyk, Professor of Education coordinated the trip.
1980-1981 At Registration 1000 students were enrolled.
KDSC broadcast system on campus started. It was started as a communication center – keeping the campus informed of happenings.
In the fall of this year, Military Science was first incorporated at DSC.
The campus celebrated it's 100th Birthday.
Over 200 weavers in one hour and fifty-two minutes reached their goal. They submitted a video documentation of this event to the Guiness Book of World Records for acceptance.
1981-1982 Fall Enrollment was 1107.
Trojan Horse Homecoming
Student Senate Students Activities Board Host Corp
Men and women from colleges and universities in a five state area attended the first annual Karl E. Mundt Forensic Tournament on DSC Campus on January 31, 1981. The late Senator Mundt had been a speech professor at Eastern State Normal and was the co-founder of the National Forensic League.
Kappa Sigma Iota Respiratory Therapy Students
The name of the Women's Basketball Team changed from Trojanettes to Lady Trojans.
Presentations from the Theatre Department
1982 -1983 Fall Enrollment was 1151
Business Club Delta Mu Delta Host Corps
Student Senate Vet's Club Respiratory Therapy
Concert Band Computer Lab Volleyball
Lady Trojans Track Softball
The DSC Speech Team hosted the Karl Mundt Invitational Events Tourney .
1983-1984 Fall Enrollment was 1246.
The Schulmerich Quadrabell Chimes were given to Dakota State College in 1983 by Della Cassutt and Ed Marquart. Those chimes replaced the Deagan Celesta Chimes which were installed in Kennedy Hall in 1954. The chimes are located at the Physical Plant on campus.
Kennedy Hall closed as portion of east wall collapsed.
The DSC Bookstore was renovated.
Students Activities Board Kappa Sigma Iota
Spring Classic was a new addition to the activities at DSC. It served as a replacement to Snow Week.
This was the 100th graduating class with about 300 graduates.
Students Activities Board Computer Club Host Corp
The 1984 Legislature passed a bill on February 29th to the effect that DSC's new mission would be to provide instruction in computer - related areas. The preparation of elementary and secondary teachers would also have an emphasis in computer and information processing.
Spring Classic Royalty Volleyball Football Cheerleaders
1985-1986 Fall Enrollment was 867.
The Kennedy Hall building was removed as it had been stuck by lightning in August of 1983 and also needed much repair.
Phi Beta Lambda Weightlifting Club Students of Higher Education
Some Non-Traditional Club Students 'Man of LaMancha'
The DSC Catalog was first available on Computer 86 Diskette.
Fall enrollment was 940.
DSC received the G. Theodore Mitau Award, this award is given to top colleges in innovative education.
1987-1988 Fall Enrollment was 958.
The Dakota Prairie Playhouse Company was incorporated. Their was a need for a theater complex and conference center in Madison.
Kappa Sigma Iota
Computer Club Business Club Delta Mu Delta
Students Activities Board Student Senate
Commencement Aerial View of Campus
1988-1989 Fall Enrollment was 1111.
Volleyball Students Activities Board
Name changed to Dakota State University (7-1-89).
1989-1990 Fall Enrollment was 1224.
Registration was held in the Karl Mundt Library
Zeno Van Erdewyk was coordinator and tour guide for the DSU European Tour for the 11th year.
In July, the building of Dakota Prairie Playhouse was complete. The 80ft. x 80 ft. complex houses a conference center and also a theatre with seating for 700 people.
1990-1991 Fall Enrollment was 1311.
Basketball Game Spring Classic Royalty
DSU Track was re-surfaced, cost $79,650.
Delta Mu Delta Non-Traditional Club
1991-1992 Fall Enrollment was 1465
1991 Homecoming Committee
DSU European Tour - June 1992
1992-1993 Enrollment was 1504
1993-1994 Enrollment was 1563.
The Girton House fireplace was put back on the main floor.
1994-1995 Fall Enrollment was 1438.
Business Club Math & Science Club Computing Services
This was the 15th year that Tamagawa University in Tokyo, Japan sent a study group to DSU. They study English and American culture instruction and are on campus and also with host families for about a month altogether.
1995-1996 Trojan Center and Food Service expanded and renovated. An all new cafeteria and bookstore is now on the main level of the building. The Bookstore had been in the lower level of the building.
Computer Club Health Information Management Club
Cross Country Softball Baseball
East Hall became handicapped accessible by the installation of an elevator and the bathrooms being remodeled.
The new roof on Heston Hall was completed.
Football DSU Silhouettes Dance Team
Baseball Team Softball Team Track & Field
Lowry Hall was remodeled and rented out to a business.
The Soccer Club was formed.
1997-1998 Dr. David Cook resigned and Dr. Cecelia Wittmayer took on the duties of acting Vice President for Academic Affairs.
YAHOO magazine recognized DSU as 12 in the nation for being “most wired”.
Dr. G. Donald Montgomery donated dollars to Dakota State University to construct a parking lot between Heston Hall and Presidents Home named The Marian James Montgomery Memorial Plaza. The Donald James Montgomery Memorial, and The Montgomery Lounge were also added.
No yearbook was printed in this year.
The Center of Excellence in Computer Information Systems (CECIS) became an operating entity on July 1, 1998. The mission of the CECIS is to deliver rigorous academic and expert delivery programs that can contribute to economic growth. The four areas targeted for excellence are academic, research, service, and partnership.
Added B.S. Degree in Electronic Commerce.
Adventure Team Choir Council for Exceptional Children
Soccer NAIA National Indoor Track
YAHOO magazine recognized DSU as 10th in the nation for being “most wired”.
In June, Dr. Cecelia Wittmayer was named Vice President of Academic Affairs.
DSU received notification from the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools (NCA) that it extended Dakota State Universities accreditation to include the Master of Science in Information Systems (MSIS).
1999-2000 Fall Enrollment - 2003 Students
YAHOO magazine recognized DSU as 9th in the nation for being “most wired”.
Student Activities Board 'The Last Night of Ballyhoo'
Madison Community Center finished and in use by campus/community.
Community Center Pool Area
Dakota State University received notification from the NCA that it has extended DSU's accreditation to include the Master of Science in Education in Computer Education & Technology (MSET).
B.S. degree in Electronic Commerce approved for distance delivery.
B.S. Degree in Multimedia/Web Development and minor in multimedia/web design became available on campus and at USDSU.
USDSU Sioux Falls, an off-campus center for three SD public universities, DSU, USD & SDSU provides complete college degree programs and classes in Sioux Falls, has now moved to its new building in January 2001. The location is on the Southeast Technical Institute campus in north Sioux Falls. This has allowed the universities to enroll more students and to increase course offerings.
Student Senate Gateway Cyber Cafe Delta Mu Delta
Eight-Plex Housing built north of campus for student housing.
Elevator was installed in Trojan Center. Remodeled lower level of that area.
97 Courses offered in Distant Education, with 1263 Students.
Computing Services moved in Lowry Hall in the Summer.
2001-2002 Trojan Center/Lower Level Open House. The area houses Student Success Center, Center for Multi-Cultural Affairs. Also a programmed facility with a multi-purpose area for students called The Underground. This center is for students activities, such as dances and ‘Open Mic Night’.
Homecoming Royalty Volleyball Team
Student Senate Travel Club IVCF
The DSU campus is the first state university in SD to have multiple building wireless technology. A wireless lab has been created in East Hall.
2002-2003 Fall Enrollment was 2263.
U.S. News & World Report released America’s Best Colleges 2003 in September, naming DSU as the fourth Top Midwestern Public Comprehensive College. Also, highlighted DSU in it’s list of Best Online Graduate Degree Programs.
Minors in Computer Science, Computer Networking, and Computer Security at DSU & at USDSU were added.
A.S. Degree in Respiratory Care approved for delivery at USDSU.
A.S. Degree in Health Information Technology approved for distance delivery & for delivery at USDSU.
Renovation began on the PAC (Performing Arts Center) former Women’s Gym.
Four-Plex Housing built just south of the Eight-Plex Complex for student housing.
PAC renovation done and the building is now named TCB – Technology Classroom Building.
The middle of campus was renovated.
2003-2004 Enrollment 2295.
The U.S. News & World Report released the annual America's Best Colleges in 2004, naming DSU as the Fourth Top Midwestern Public Comprehensive College.
Homecoming 'Taming of the Shrew'
Cross Country Men's Basketball
Dr. Tunheim retired January 4th, 2004.
U.S. National Security Agency & Department of Homeland Security selected DSU as A National Center for Excellence in Computer Security.
Approval obtained for the Wireless Mobile Computing Initiative for Fall 2004.
A new call center was developed in the old lobby area of Lowry Hall that will focus on calls to alumni and friends as well as the organized calling of potential new students.
New campus improvements including: banners on Egan and Washington Ave and around the athletic complex; lighting, landscaping and banners in the mall area of the campus; completion of new entryways to the campus on both the east and west entries; painting and signage in the Dakota Prairie Playhouse, the development of an Information Commons approach in the library with the technology help desk centered in this IC; new sculpture at the entrance to the TCB; landscaping and other improvements to the Girton House; classroom improvements in Beadle Hall; new sound system at the Field House.
2004-2005 In the fall 2004, all full-time students that hold freshman or sophomore status were issued the tablet/notebook wireless computer device to use during the year. DSU will be the only campus in the state of SD to have such an initiative and one of the first in the United States to utilize the tablet computing system.
In August, U.S. News & World Report released America’s Best Colleges in 2005, naming DSU as the Second Top Midwestern Public Comprehensive College.
Received accreditation of the new Masters in Information Assurance and approval of a new degree in Scientific Forensic Technology.
A 125th celebration was held at the Trojan Center with a DSU decorated cake kicking off the upcoming anniversary of the university.
DSU has been named to the top 20 Ranked Best Buys Online Computer Science Degrees by Get Educated.com.
April 7, construction started on the Madison Technology Center. This unique 1.4 million dollar, 10,000 square foot project will house the data center which will provide space for new & existing companies in the information technology industry. It is located adjacent to the DSU Campus.
DSU has a new student organization on campus, Students in Free Enterprise or SIFE.
The Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) announced that Dakota State University was awarded initial accreditation of their business school at the ACBSP Annual Conference in Washington, DC.
Beginning in mid July, DSU implemented a series of training programs for faculty and staff in Advanced Connections.
The dorms have been equipped with wireless access points, so now the Tablets can be used in the dorms. The campus is 100% wireless.
New Building signage was installed.
2005-2006 Fall Enrollment was 2329.
In August, DSU and Dakronics, Inc. announced a project that will place electronic scoreboards and graphic displays at the Universities sporting venues, the student center and one of Madison's main intersections, to be finished in the fall.
In August, the U.S. News & World Report released the annual America's Best Colleges in 2006, naming DSU as the Second Top Midwestern Public Comprehensive College.
A Doctor of Science in Information Systems has been approved for DSU. The doctorate, the first offered at DSU, is designed to prepare individuals for high-level careers in research, teaching, and corporate or government agency employment.
DSU was awarded the Great Service STAR award for 2006-2007.
DSU has been named to the Top 25 Ranked Best Buys Online Education Degrees by GetEducated.com.
DSU unveiled a commemorated Coke can at a special ceremony.
March 5, DSU marks the 125th Anniversary of its founding.
A 255 paqe book commemorating the 125 years of history of the college was published, featuring the mission change in the 1980's and the DSU Timeline.
In July, 2006, the Chautauqua featured workshops for adults and youth presented by historical scholars. These scholars also interpreted historical characters in the evenings under the big tent on the DSU campus.
2006-2007 Fall enrollment 2439.
In August, a news release stated that Dakota State University is the best public comprehensive college in the Midwest according to U.S. News & World Report magazine's annual analysis of "America's Best College 2007".
DSU chartered a new honor society. Phi Eta Sigma is the largest honor society for first-year college and university students. DSU has inducted 35 members into the new society.
Dakota State University held Spring Commencement May 12 at the DSU Fieldhouse. DSU had 194 graduates, including 12 masters, 149 baccalaureate, and 32 associates.
2007-2008 Fall enrollment 2570.
In August, for the second consecutive year, Dakota State University in Madison is the best comprehensive public college in the Midwest according to U.S. News & World Report magazine's annual analysis of "America's Best Colleges 2008".
September 7, Dakota State University signed a new transportation agreement which will be available to DSU student athletes as they travel through the Midwest. This will allow DSU student athletes and coaches to remain connected to campus while they are on the road.
Men's Basketball Team Lady T's
Women's Track Team Cross Country Team
On May 10th, 2008 Commencement exercises were held with 216 graduates, of which 22 Masters, 154 Bachelors and 40 Associate Degrees were awarded. Governor M. Michael Rounds was the speaker.
During the summer of 2008 Higbie and Richardson Halls were renovated. A window project took place in Beadle Hall. A new centralized mailbox room in the Trojan Center was added. There was a major renovation of the Regents conference room in the TC. The admissions office was the change in Heston Hall.
In August, for the third consecutive year, Dakota State University in Madison is the best comprehensive public college in the Midwest according to U.S. News & World Report magazine's annual analysis of "America's Best Colleges 2009".
Fall enrollment 2780.
Homecoming King & Queen Homecoming Royalty
Fall enrollment 2861
The fourth consecutive year, Dakota State University in Madison is the best comprehensive public college in the Midwest according to U.S. News & World Report magazine's annual analysis of "America's Best Colleges 2010.
2010-2011 Fall Enrollment 3101
Dakota State University is the highest ranked public regional college in the Midwest according to U.S. News & World Report magazine’s annual analysis of “America’s Best Colleges 2011.” This is the 5th consecutive year that Dakota State has achieved the top position. Dakota State is ranked first in the Top Public Regional Colleges in the Midwest region category.
2011-2012 Fall Enrollment 3102
If you have any questions, comments, or contributions regarding the
history of DSU, please contact
Dakota State University
Dakota State University • All rights Reserved
hits July 1, 2004 - present